With Daylight Savings Time in full effect, now is the perfect time for residents of the Autumnwood community in Sanford, North Carolina, to enjoy the extra sunshine and temperate weather and take a stroll outside. Why not appreciate nature’s beauty while touring four areas listed on the National Register of Historic Places?
The Downtown Sanford Historic District, roughly bounded by Gordon Street, Horner Boulevard, Cole Street and Chatham Street, entered the National Register in 1985. The 36-acre district’s development dates principally from 1895 to 1930, with commercial, office and residential units. It includes the Railroad House, the only building surviving in the district from Sanford’s establishment. The National Register has deemed this district significant for its history in commerce, exploration/settlement, politics/government, transportation and architecture, including Federal, Gothic Revival, Bungalow, Commercial, Tudor Revival and Colonial Revival styles.
Rosemount-McIver Park entered the National Register in 1997. It contains 39 buildings, including residential units, government offices and businesses among two neighborhoods lying between North Horner Boulevard and North Vance and Carthage streets. Rosemont and McIver were Sanford’s most fashionable neighborhoods between the world wars, and most houses there were designed in the period’s locally popular styles, among them the Queen Anne, Craftsman, Colonial Revival, and Tudor Revival. A single city block separates the district from the Downtown Sanford Historic District, located to the east, making it easy to tour both districts.
On the National Register since 2000 is the Hawkins Avenue Historic District, consisting of 62 buildings and four structures. The fan-shaped 84-acre property lies north of the central business district and has single and multi-family dwellings, three churches, one historic school, several industrial warehouses, and a historic cotton mill that were predominantly constructed from the 1880s to 1950. The district is roughly bounded by Hill Street, Little Buffalo Creek, North Homer Boulevard and Buffalo Street.
The fourth local historic district is Lee Avenue. On the National Register since 2002, the seven-block long, L-shaped district is bounded by West Main Street, Lee Avenue, South Academy Street and West Raleigh Street. The 54 buildings predominately date before the 1960s and include the Jonesboro (Heights) Baptist Church and three houses dating back to the 1880s, all of which have maintained their historical integrity.
Did we miss any detail about these districts you feel your fellow Autumnwood neighbors should know? If so, feel free to comment below.