Cycling is one of the best forms of exercise! There’s nothing quite like a long ride on a beautiful day, watching the world fly by you from atop a bicycle seat. North Carolina’s large rural area and variety of scenery make it an ideal spot for cycling. Sanford, North Carolina has both in abundance!
If you’re moving to Sanford, North Carolina, here are some places you should check out if you’re itching for a ride.
Local Equipment and Maintenance
Our main local bike shop is Storm Endurance Sports, located a few minutes south of downtown. Storm sells a variety of bikes and equipment, and offers $175 bike overhauls if yours hasn’t seen action in a while.
The shop is also the center of the local cycling community, great for new residents! They maintain a list of regularly scheduled rides and host races, marathons, and more throughout the year.
- Governor’s Creek Trail: a mountain biking spot that’s actually pretty close to Storm Endurance, Governor’s Creek offers around six miles of varied, up and down terrain. Be careful getting there, as it can be a bit hard to find.
- Raven Rock Trail: mountain bikers can enjoy an easy ride with a view of a waterfall at Raven Rock State Park. Note that while the trails are currently shut down, they are expected to reopen later in 2020.
- San Lee Park: Sanford’s largest and most popular park hosts both paved and offroad biking trails. The mountain bike trail is around 12 miles long and winds around the entire perimeter of the park.
- Harris Lake: closer to Raleigh is Harris Lake Park and its Hog Run Mountain Bike Trail, which offers everything from a beginner’s loop all the way to a black diamond.
- Rural Roads: there are lots of rural roads near Sanford that are perfect for road riding! Be sure to know your route ahead of time, bring water, and practice safe riding.
Looking to move to North Carolina? Autumnwood’s new homes allow for easy access to the Triangle and Triad while offering the peace of rural life, near one of North Carolina’s most beloved small towns. Check out our listings!